Saturday, January 17, 2009

Saturday is never the same again


Sabina Sehgal Saikia is no more. The fact that she died in the Mumbai horrors last week, is yet to sink in. Last Saturday I sat glued to the TV set with prayer on my lips and fear in heart.
The withdrawal symptom starts this Saturday. The first Sat in all these 9 years, when I shall be deprived of a new culinary journey with Sabina.
Armed with the 'husband' (now we all know - the simple, yet very mature Shantanu) by her side she undertook her mission every week with her readers.
The victims of her food criticism (not sure if this is the right term-but just a derivation from the term 'critic') ranged from the Chinese chaatwalas of Lajpat Nagar Central Market to the chefs of the Taj(!) and the Sheraton of the world.
When she wrote, you could actually smell the spices and taste the sauces. Way back in 2003-04, she wrote about the Bukhara - I could actually feel the rich flavour of the 'Dal Bukhara' tingling my taste buds - such a gr8 'text baawarchi' the lady was!!!
At the time I was in college, my monthly budget never allowed beyond Dhaba Jai Jawan or the occasional burger at Preet Vihar Mc Donald's. But Sabina was the saviour. With her column every week I would get to taste the scrumptious kebabs, succulent biryanis and the magnificent chocolate truffles.
When I started earning last year, her columns told me what to eat and what to miss. She was to me the grand dame of curries, spices and recipes.
Then there were the weeks she just relaxed over her column, No restaurant review of lounge visits but rather dainty pieces on house hold recipes and the magic of Indian spices.
Sabina was also my key to the world of unknown gourmet fares. With her I got to know of a full festival on rices and they do a bread in Italy.
I shall miss all this. Maybe with time I shall start reading someone else's columns. But what will stay is the image of a lady who so easily bridged the gap between gourmet food and ghar ka khana. To end with it was Sabina and only Sabina who could compare a cocktail with kanji.

'The husband and the children will miss you Sabina - but so will I' - a dedicated reader

No comments: